Skip to main content

"Let All Be Agreed, I'm Wicked"

During my short trip to London for the New Year, I saw Wicked for the second time and it was really magical! 

I am a die-hard fan of musical theatre, and Wicked has always been my number one, ever since I first listened to the soundtrack. This show touches me like any other and the story is truly incredible. Wicked explores the life of the Wicked Witch of the West before Dorothy arrives in Oz. The Wished Witch is introduced as Elphaba, a very smart girl but unfortunately, who suffers from prejudice because of her green skin, and is thus, considered “ugly” and “an outcast.” Glinda, the Good Witch, is this bubbly popular girl whose priorities are having as much fun as she can and dating the most handsome boy in the school, Fiyero Tiggular. So, since the beginning, Elphaba is said to be “wicked” and Glinda, “good.” However, as the show evolves, as well as the characters, we understand that things are not what they seem to be and that there is more to a person that just being “good” or being “wicked.” It’s a beautiful lesson about people, life, and especially, friendship. Even though I love every character and storyline in this show, Elphaba remains my favourite character of all time! I always wanted to be like her. She is so incredibly brave and smart, and, most of all, she stands up for herself and what she believes in, even though she knows that it is only going to bring her misfortune and misery. She never gives up, she never gives in. She truly is a wonderful character inside and out, and she inspires me every day of my life. So, Wicked has always been a big part of my life.

And finally, in June 2015, I had the amazing opportunity to see Wicked for the first time in London, with Emma Hatton as Elphaba and Savannah Stevenson as Glinda. I was on a trip with my friends and I bought tickets for the last day of our stay. It was so hard to wait all that time, especially when we in Oxford Circus and saw the other musical theatres. When the day finally came, I was unbearable. I was so excited!
I remember entering the theatre (I had never been to a musical before, so it was a first for me in every way) and seeing the green design with all of the pictures of the musical on the wall and the gift shops… I felt like I was in a dream. I couldn’t believe that I was actually there. Wicked is my favourite musical since I’m 16 years old, and living in France, I never thought that I would get the opportunity to see it. And now, being there. I was completely overwhelmed. I took pictures of everything, I went to the gift shops three or four times, I walked around the theatre a thousand times. My friends did not recognize me. They said that I looked completely transformed. I was so excited and emotional. It was surreal.
My friends didn’t know the musical but they got enthusiastic about it because of me. And I can tell you that after seeing the show, they were thrilled too. They loved it!
I barely remember the performance in itself. I was so emotional and exhilarated that my memories are a little blurred. But what I remember was that I loved it. Every second. I laughed during ‘Popular’, I was on the edge of my seat during ‘Defying Gravity’, I cried during ‘For Good’ and it was so amazing! Everything was breathtaking: the costumes, the set, the music, the dance, the acting… Everything! I was simply blown away.
I couldn’t shut up about it after the show. I talked about it the entire way home and I wore the tee shirt I bought all summer. It was a life-changing experience. And I will cherish it all of my life.

Two and a half years after, I learned that I would get to see Wicked again! I was over the moon! I couldn’t believe it!
In December 2018, I went on a trip in London with my little sister as a Christmas gift and my parents offered us two shows! We choose to see The Phantom of the Opera and Wicked (of course, how could I resist?)
Well, even though I’d already seen it, I was not prepared to be blown away like this a second time. It was beyond all of my expectations. Elphaba was played by Laura Pick, (who was actually the standby who replaced Alice Fearn, as she was sick), and Glinda was played by Sophie Evans. And they were amazing! They had such chemistry and the whole thing was just wonderful. This time I got to really enjoy it and, knowing the show, I could completely surrender to the magic happening on stage. It was a dream. I remember buzzing with excitement when I knew that ‘Defying Gravity’ or ‘No Good Deed’ was coming, I couldn’t control my emotions. Glinda was so funny, her ‘Popular’ was spectacular and the toss-toss made me laugh so loud! Elphaba was as brilliant as always, and once again, I was amazed by her vocal range, especially she hit that note at the end of ‘Defying Gravity’. Her ‘Fiyero Riff’ in ‘No Good Deed’was also pretty spectacular. And Bradley Jaden was so handsome (and he had wicked dance moves). When the show ended (with my eyes full of tears at this point), I still couldn’t believe it! When the actors bowed and Elphaba and Glinda appeared, I jumped on my feet, clapping my hands so hard it hurt. It was so stunning!
We even got to see Sophie Evans and Laura Pick at the stage door! They were so nice. It was such a lovely way to end this wonderful evening.


I may know the show and the music by heart but I know that I will get astounded every time I’ll see it. The performance of each actor, each production is unique and it is always worth it.  This is the magic of live theatre: every time you see the show, it’s always new. It never gets old. And I know that, even if I see the show hundreds of time, I will love it as much as the first time.

Picture of Alice Fearn and Sophie Evans from the souvenir programme

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Emilia at the Vaudeville Theatre

The Three Emilias - Clare Perkins, Saffron Coomber, Adelle Leonce - pic:   http://www.stagereview.co.uk   I remember stepping into the Vaudeville Theatre without really knowing what to expect. Before booking the show, I’ve heard really good things about it. People saying how inspired, how affected they were coming out of it. Even reviews raved about it. If so many talked about it that way, it must be good right? So, learning it would close soon, I decided to buy a ticket. Before going, I only knew one thing. I knew that it was the story of one of the first published women in England during Shakespeare’s time. As a writer and a woman, it was enough to convince me. History-based shows always fascinated me but knowing that I would learn about a woman whose work and story had been ignored for centuries, I was even more curious about it. I just hoped it would live up to its praise.  Shakespeare's Globe’s production Emilia tells the story of Emilia Bassano, a poet, a

We Are Madly In Love With The Delightful Erika Henningsen From Mean Girls The Musical

While many students all across the world barely make their way back to school, the fearlessly talented Erika Henningsen has already begun her journey in the terrifying halls of North Shore High School almost seven months ago. Starring in the new, Tony-nominated musical Mean Girls as the bright-eyed and keen Cady Heron , the 26-year old Broadway star shines ‘as bright as day’ on the stage of the August Wilson Theatre every night. Erika Henningsen (photo: Joan Marcus)

25 Songs from Musicals to Listen to Feel Better

When I’m feeling anxious or stressed, there aren’t a lot of things that help me feel better. Except for music. I’ve always loved listening to music. I listen to music all the time. Whether,  to escape my reality, to help go to sleep or just to relax. But I’ve discovered recently that listening to music also helps me calm down, especially when I’m not feeling great mentally.  So I’ve decided to put together a playlist of songs to listen to from musicals that I love. The Broadway community has always been an advocate for mental health but furthermore, musicals often have included songs that try to bring up a more positive and love-centred message. These songs are going from upbeat melodies to beautiful and serene ballads, depending on your mood.  I hope it’ll help you feel better too.  You Will Be Found - Dear Even Hansen You are never alone, even when you think you've reached your darkest point. Out of the Darkness - Everybody's Talking About Jamie Don't