Skip to main content

When Nothing Makes Sense Anymore

 Trigger Warning: Death, Suicide

So today (5th of November) marks the 9th anniversary of my uncle's death... I never wrote about it before so it's very personal... 

The first time I was confronted with death, I was thirteen years old.
Until then, I had considered myself lucky. I had spent thirteen years of my existence not losing anyone, and especially, not worrying or even thinking about losing someone I cared about. My grandparents were healthy, my parents were fine, my siblings and I were thriving. No one in my family had ever been seriously ill or had been in an accident. I thought we were invincible. I naively believed that it was always going to be that way; but, for a time, it was a nice feeling to hold onto.
It didn’t last long, however.
My first experience with death was a brutal one. It happened violently and unexpectedly. It took me by surprise and, from one day to the other, everything changed.



 Before I knew death for the first time, I was happy and ignorant. That day, I wasn’t anymore. And, despite my desire to bury it deep inside my mind, I know I’ll always remember it. 
It was the 7th of November. It was a Saturday afternoon and I was enjoying my free time with my siblings. We celebrated my mom’s birthday only the week before. Everything was great. Until my mom received a phone call and everything changed.     
I don’t remember exactly how it happened but I know that suddenly my mom became very agitated and left in a hurry with my dad. I know that my siblings and I gathered into my sisters’ room, trying to understand what was happening and if this was serious. After a while, we truly started to worry. We knew something was wrong, but we had no idea what. Then, my dad came back, alone. He finally took us to his room and what he said at that moment, I never thought I would ever hear him say it: “Your uncle is dead.”

Your uncle is dead. My mother’s brother. Dead. At barely fifty years old.
What did it mean?
Why was he dead?
I knew for sure that he wasn’t sick. Was it an accident then? Unfortunately no, it wasn’t an accident.
What was it then?
Suicide.
The word was so strange, so alien to me that it didn’t make sense at the time. I knew what it meant; I knew what it implicated, but I couldn’t associate it with my uncle. That didn’t make sense. Nothing made sense for a long time after that. From one day to another, my uncle disappeared, without a word, without a warning; and we never knew why.

For a while, I didn’t understand his death. I couldn’t wrap my mind around it. I felt numb and helpless, and I didn’t understand. I went to the funeral, I saw my mother cry for the first time ever, I saw my grandmother break down in front of me, I saw my uncle being buried; and yet, I still hadn’t realized.
It was only a few weeks later that it hit me.
When it happened, I was doing homework at my desk. It was a usual school night and I wasn’t thinking about it. Then, it suddenly struck me. Violently and unexpectedly; like my uncle’s death. I finally realized that I would never see him again; that he was gone, forever. It was at that moment that I understood what it meant, even if I still didn’t know why.
All the feelings that I had been repressing, all of the emotions that I had kept away; it all suddenly dawned on me. I felt overwhelmed. I remember breaking down at my desk, in the middle of the evening. It was painful and horrible, but, in a way, it felt good. I wasn’t numb anymore. I could feel.

It took me a while to accept it, to acknowledge my feelings instead of repressing them, and just to learn how to live without knowing, without understanding, and especially, without him.

It was one of the most real and terrible experiences of my life and it haunted me, for years; and if I’m being honest I’m still haunted by it. I am absolutely terrified of living through this again, even though I know I eventually will. It’s part of life. We all have to face it one day.
Still, it doesn’t make it easier.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Review: Emilia at the Vaudeville Theatre

The Three Emilias - Clare Perkins, Saffron Coomber, Adelle Leonce - pic:   http://www.stagereview.co.uk   I remember stepping into the Vaudeville Theatre without really knowing what to expect. Before booking the show, I’ve heard really good things about it. People saying how inspired, how affected they were coming out of it. Even reviews raved about it. If so many talked about it that way, it must be good right? So, learning it would close soon, I decided to buy a ticket. Before going, I only knew one thing. I knew that it was the story of one of the first published women in England during Shakespeare’s time. As a writer and a woman, it was enough to convince me. History-based shows always fascinated me but knowing that I would learn about a woman whose work and story had been ignored for centuries, I was even more curious about it. I just hoped it would live up to its praise.  Shakespeare's Globe’s production Emilia tells the story of Emilia Bassano, a poet, a

We Are Madly In Love With The Delightful Erika Henningsen From Mean Girls The Musical

While many students all across the world barely make their way back to school, the fearlessly talented Erika Henningsen has already begun her journey in the terrifying halls of North Shore High School almost seven months ago. Starring in the new, Tony-nominated musical Mean Girls as the bright-eyed and keen Cady Heron , the 26-year old Broadway star shines ‘as bright as day’ on the stage of the August Wilson Theatre every night. Erika Henningsen (photo: Joan Marcus)

25 Songs from Musicals to Listen to Feel Better

When I’m feeling anxious or stressed, there aren’t a lot of things that help me feel better. Except for music. I’ve always loved listening to music. I listen to music all the time. Whether,  to escape my reality, to help go to sleep or just to relax. But I’ve discovered recently that listening to music also helps me calm down, especially when I’m not feeling great mentally.  So I’ve decided to put together a playlist of songs to listen to from musicals that I love. The Broadway community has always been an advocate for mental health but furthermore, musicals often have included songs that try to bring up a more positive and love-centred message. These songs are going from upbeat melodies to beautiful and serene ballads, depending on your mood.  I hope it’ll help you feel better too.  You Will Be Found - Dear Even Hansen You are never alone, even when you think you've reached your darkest point. Out of the Darkness - Everybody's Talking About Jamie Don't